Is Your Home A Health Hazard?
Tips For A Healthy Living At Home
It’s the beginning of the year, and many of us are focusing on healthy living. You may have changed your diet, and stepped up your exercise regime, but have you given any thought to making changes at home? You may think your home looks wonderful, but could it be posing hidden risks to your health?
Damp, Mold and Health Problems
If your home is damp, this can contribute to breathing difficulties, especially if you already suffer from respiratory health problems, such as asthma. Damp is caused by the presence of excess moisture, and it’s often found in older homes and properties located on or near floodplains. A damp house develops mold and health problems caused by mold are well known. The most obvious signs are damp patches on the walls or ceilings and a musty smell. If you do notice signs of damp, it’s advisable to call in the experts. Damp proofing can save you a lot of money in the long-run, as well as reducing your risk of health issues.
Why Is My House So Dusty?
Is your home a dust trap? Can you not seem to shift the dust even though you vacuum on a regular basis? If your home is dusty, this can affect air quality, and make it difficult for you to breathe easy. If you have allergies or you have an illness that affects your breathing, dust can be particularly dangerous. In case you don’t already have an air filter, this could be a worthy addition to your home.If you do have a unit, make sure it’s in good working order, and remember to replace the filter on a regular basis.
You can buy products like Jet air filtration replacement filters online. If you have pets, molting can contribute to increased dust, especially if you have a long-haired companion. Groom your pets on a regular basis, and vacuum daily.
Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm!
Carbon monoxide is often labelled the silent killer. This is because it is colourless and odourless. If you don’t have a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, it can be very difficult to spot the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide can be released by faulty furnaces, appliances that haven’t been installed properly or blocked chimneys.
If you don’t already have alarms at home, it’s well worth spending some money to fit one. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include severe headaches, nausea, tiredness, lethargy, and dizziness. If you do have pets, they can also be affected, so look out for changes in their behaviour. You may notice that they have become very sluggish or that they’ve gone off their food.
Being healthy isn’t just about eating the right foods and being active. It’s also about keeping illness at bay. You may think your home looks perfectly innocent, but it could be harbouring hazards that may affect your health. If you’ve noticed damp patches on the walls, you can’t seem to get rid of dust, or you’re worried about carbon monoxide poisoning, seek advice from trained professionals.
Thanks a lot for reading